The final points for the 2013 SoCal Series have been calculated and posted: https://socaldiscgolfclub.wordpress.com/points-series/2013-standings-and-results/
Congratulations are in order for Steve Rico, winner in the Men’s Open Pro division, Ohn Scoggins, winner in the Ladies’ Open Pro division and Matt Hutchings, winner in the Men’s Advanced Amateur division. You can see these and other division champions accept their awards at the SoCal Series Year End Event, being held Saturday, Dec. 14th at Prado Regional Park in Chino. For more details and registration, go to: http://www.discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/tournament-dashboard.cfm/tourn_id/1048
Many thanks to SoCal member Patrick Paramore, who took on the tough task of calculating the points this year!
Posted by socaldg on November 20, 2013
This is the layout for the 2013 SoCal Pro Championships being held at Brengle Terrace Park in Vista on Nov. 16/17. OBs have not yet been determined.
Posted by socaldg on November 11, 2013
Here is the layout for this weekend’s SoCal Am Championships at Kit Carson Park in Escondido. One change from this map – hole 17 will play to its right-hand position. Holes 1, 2 and 11 are Par 4’s, the rest are Par 3’s.
Posted by socaldg on November 5, 2013
SoCal Championships are coming up soon! The Am tournament will be held Nov. 9/10 at Kit Carson Park in Escondido, while the Pro tournament will be held the next weekend at Brengle Terrace Park in Vista. Both tournaments are available for signup online at DiscGolfU.com: Ams – Pros. Tournament Director (and SoCal President) Randy Wylot has two great events planned!
SoCal Ams will play three rounds at Kit Carson Park in Escondido. Championship layout will be posted on SoCal website.
Field is limited to 80 players. On line sign ups for SoCal Members only until Oct. 23, open to all other players after Oct 23. SoCal Deli will be providing lunch between rounds on Saturday. All Ams will receive Innova stamped tournament disc, mini, shirt and towel. Trophies for top three in each division. Raffle during awards.
SoCal Pro Championships will be played at Brengle Terrace Park, three rounds in Championship layout. Course layout details to follow, SoCal website. First 50 players to register will receive tournament disc. All registered will receive a shirt. SoCal Deli providing lunch between rounds on Sat. Top winners in each division receive trophy. On line sign up for all current SoCal Members until Oct.26, all other players can register after Oct. 26.
Thank you to this year’s sponsors: Innova Discs, San Diego Aces, SDSF, Apewear, SoCal Deli, Power Bar.
Posted by socaldg on October 31, 2013
Summer is coming to an end, and it’s back-to-school time for many. It’s also Back-to-the-SoCal-Series time, as the schedule picks back up after a semi-hiatus for Am and Pro Worlds. Oh yeah, speaking of Pro Worlds…SoCal native Paul “McBeast” McBeth chalked up his second straight PDGA Worlds title with a 5-shot win over Dave “Feldbeard” Feldberg. Steve Rico made a run at the top card, finishing 7th overall and HB’s Kyle Eckmann got some great mid-week DiscGolfPlanet.tv exposure on the lead card before fading to 14th place. Congrats to all of our SoCal disc golfers that made the trip to Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake, Indiana and Am Worlds at Emporia, Kansas!
The Skyhigh Showdown signaled to return to activity for SoCal disc golf, with Suzette Simons putting on another great event for 193 players at the 7000-ft. high Skyhigh disc golf course. A weekend of dry, but windy weather provided challenges for the players, but many who had played last year remarked about how much nicer it was to not finish amidst lightning and hailstones. Steve Rico gobbled up a ton of SoCal Series points in his 6-stroke win over the Men’s Open division. Shadd Wade, Logan Turner and Chris Brophy tied for second place. Other tournament highlights included 14-year-old Connor Hanrahan’s 4-shot win in Men’s Advanced and Anthony Bassett’s win in Advanced Masters, noteworthy because Anthony played 108 holes as part of the “Ironman” competition. Full results for the Skyhigh Showdown are available at PDGA.com.
September is a busy month for the SoCal Series, with three events on the schedule. First up is The Open @ Sun Valley (Sept. 7/8), filling the spot traditionally held by the Sun Valley Open. Same location, same great 18-hole layout on the hilly ball golf course, just different TD’s. Two weeks later (Sept. 21) at Verdugo Hills is another tournament held on a ball golf course – the Verdugo Hills Open. TD Gary Sandoval has put together a 1-day, 2-round event on the popular Verdugo Hills layout, with some of the best elevation-change holes in SoCal. September rounds out with a tournament that brings the SoCal Series back to one of the older courses in the region, Whittier Narrows. The Blue Heron Open presented by Arroyo Disc Sports (Sept. 28/29) is the first PDGA-sanctioned event run by Logan Turner and the Arroyo boys, and we’re looking forward to it. Looking ahead to October, the ever fun Chavez Ridge DGC hosts the Fling XVII, with the return of the ever popular Freeway Hole. Sign up for these events today!
Posted by socaldg on August 30, 2013
The first update of points for the 2013 SoCal Series has been released and corrected. Many thanks to Patrick Paramore for stepping to take on this task. Points are calculated for a tournament once it’s results become official on the PDGA website. If you find discrepancies in the points please contact Patrick at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the quickest response.
2013 SoCal Series Am Points
2013 SoCal Series Pro Points
Posted by socaldg on June 28, 2013
There is a lot of disc golf activity coming up in SoCal during April and May:
- Sylmar Open – Gary Sandoval is running another edition of the great Sylmar Open, April 13th. Players will play 3 rounds in one day – not for the weak of heart (or foot).
- San Diego Spring Fling – This is really two events, with the long-running Am version of the event being held at Morley Field on Sat., 4/20 (snicker) and the Pro event being held the next day (Sun, 4/21) on a stretched-out version of the Kit Carson Park course in Escondido. Both events are park of DGA’s Steady Ed Series. The Pro event on Sunday has a trophy-only option that drops the entry fee considerably, if there are Ams out there who would like to try out their game alongside pro players. Ams also receive a tournament-stamp disc -a new release from DGA called the “Breaker”. Hopefully that doesn’t describe what it does when it hits trees…
- The Challenge @ Goat Hill – This event is still tentatively scheduled for May4/5. More details will be available ASAP.
- Cannonball Run – This fun event, where players play ridiculous amounts of golf and drive like fiends from course to course will be happening late in May – watch for details here and on DiscGolfU.com.
Posted by socaldg on April 8, 2013
Years ago, the International Frisbee Association (IFA) put out a wonderful magazine called Frisbee World (later changed to Frisbee disc World, because of trademark issues). The brainchild of Dan “Stork” Roddick, it was the best way to keep up with news about what was going on in the world of Frisbee (come get me, Mattel!). One of my favorite parts of the mag was the sections called “Coming Up” and “Going Down”, where you could see a list of upcoming big events and then the results from those events. This was loooooong before the instant news fix of the Interwebs, so it was often months before we back on the east coast knew who had won the U.S. Open at La Mirada, or the WFC held at the Rose Bowl.
So I’ve decided to draw upon that great idea from the past and initiate a “sorta-regular-ish” feature for the SoCal website: Ups & Downs. I’ll try to do it near the beginning of each month, and list some interesting things that happened in the past month and other interesting things that are coming up. As always, if you have something you’d like to crow about or drum up interest in, please send me a message at email@example.com. I’d really like to have other voices represented on this website, not just mine. -Allen Risley
With that explained, here are the Ups & Downs – things coming up soon and things that went down recently:
- Huntington Beach: HB made it back on the PDGA and SoCal schedules, holding their City Championship January 12/13. There were some grumbles about the lack of online registration and delays on getting results, but dammit, Jerry Davis ran an event at HB!!! Lots of good comments about how things were run and the quality of play. Hometown hero and current World Champion Paul McBeth started off 2013 as a winner, with a 4-stroke win over Kyle Eckman. Paul’s 1080-rated final 9 accounted for three of those strokes – Stewart Mendenhall and Max Nichols rounded out the final 9 group. Other Pro division winners: Brittany Blair (FPO), Mark Collicott (MPM) Robbie Wilson (MPG) and Tom Clickner (MPS). Am division winners: Taylor Mate (MA1), Anthony Bassett (MM1), Richard Ewald (MA2), Jeremy Fairchild (MA3), Rebecca Anderson (FW3), Jacob Courtis (MJ3).
- Ice Bowl Season is Here!: SoCal’s “Golden Sombrero Series of Ice Bowls” is back for it’s 5th season, with eight events on the schedule. Four have already occurred:
- Redlands – Golden Sombrero originator Bill Maury-Holmes drew 48 players to Ford Park in Redlands to kick off the series. A.J. Risley took the win, after a playoff with Nick Wright and Nick Novoa. All three had shot 18-down, with the help of a few mulligans. Dave Phillips won the “Metal or Nada” round, with 2 metal hits on the final 9 holes. $715 and 3 cans of food were collected for Redlands Family Services.
- San Marcos - 50 players showed up in San Marcos the next day to tackle Montiel Park. Mark Verrochi stole the show, wining the event with 23-under 58. A.J. Risley and Bill Maury-Holmes were just two shots back at 60 (yes, there were mulligans). Mark also took home a basket for his ace of hole #4, beating Kyle Becker and Austen Stringfield in a CTP playoff. $700 and 100 lbs of canned food were collected for the North County Food Bank.
- Chavez Ridge – The Ice Bowl in Paradise was finally played in dry weather! 80 players enjoyed the view from the freeway hole, but Steve Rico had the most fun, shooting 12-down to best Chris Brophy (-8), A.J. Risley (-7) and Texan Chris Pepperling (-7). Other division winners: Todd Banks (MPM), Tom Clickner (MPS), Bill Richards (MPL), AdaZm Nash (MA1), Chris Calleton (MM1), Dave Hadder (MG1), Dan Ford (MA2), Stewart Coleman (MA3), Connor Wright (MJ3) and Jake Wilson (MJ4).
- Yucaipa – We know an Ice Bowl happened here…we just haven’t heard the results yet.
- Stuff other than tournaments happened too, recently. New discs from Innova (Roc3, Tern, McPro Aviar) and Legacy (Patriot, Rival), a new backpack bag from No Excuses, and cool videos from Arroyo. Talk of a new course in west L.A. at the Kenneth Hahn Recreational Area and an expansion of Mountain Pride Park in Murrieta from 9 to 18. Oh, and there’s a new disc golf company called Prodigy and they stole a bunch of sponsored layers from other teams.
- More Ice Bowls!: Sycuan (El Cajon) on 2/2, Murrieta on 2/16, Wrightwood (yes, real ice) on 2/23 and Mission Bay (San Diego) on 2/24.
- The 35th Annual (gulp!) Wintertime Open is back again. TD Mark Horn welcomes us back to where it all started: Oak Grove. Am weekend 2/9-10, Pro weekend 2/16-17.
- Another “One Night Stand” at Verdugo Hills on 3/9. Gary Sandoval’s attempt to turn us all into insomniacs.
- The return of La Mirada to the PDGA and SoCal schedule! West Coast Disc Golf makes it happen for two days in March (3/23-24) and it’s a Vibram Open qualifier to boot!
- Goat Hill moves to an earlier date. Can you say Cinco de Goato?
That’s all I got for now. Make something happen and write about it! Remember, Thoughts Become Things!
Posted by socaldg on February 1, 2013
Huntington Beach returns to the SoCal and PDGA schedules with a pair of 1-day tournaments January 12th and 13th. Ams will play two rounds on Saturday, Pros will play two rounds with a Final 9 (Open Men only) on Sunday. Check-in is at 7:30am each day, tee-off at 8:30am. There is no online registration for this event, but you can download the entry form here.
Posted by socaldg on January 2, 2013
Straight from TD Randy Wylot, here are the layout maps and hole descriptions for Brengle Terrace Park (2 rounds on Saturday) and Kit Carson Park (1 round on Sunday). Many thanks to Max Nichols for preparing these documents and all his work seting up the courses.
Hole-by-hole description of Brengle Terrace Park DGC.
Hole-by-hole description of Kit Carson Park DGC.
There are still a few spots open for players who want to compete in the event. You must register online at DiscGolfU.com. Spectators are welcome both days, and spectators will have a chance to see some of the top disc golfers in the world competing on our local courses. David Feldberg (1038) and Nikko Locastro (1038) are in the top 10 of PDGA-rated players, with Paul Ulibarri (1029) and local favorite Micah Dorius (1028) not too far behind. Carlo Pelg (1008), Max Nichols (1004), Dan Duron (1000) and Kyle Eckmann (1000) are all 1,000-rated players who should be in the mix. And will the two players at the top of the SoCal Series show up? Although they’re not registered at the time this post was written (7am, 10/15), don’t be surprised to see Steve Rico (1029) and Philo Braithwaite (1022) on the course this weekend.
Volunteers are needed! If you volunteer for the weekend, you will receive a tournament-stamp disc, tournament-embroidered polo shirt and lunch on Saturday. Contact Randy Wylot (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Posted by socaldg on November 15, 2012