Years ago, the International Frisbee Association (IFA) put out a wonderful magazine called Frisbee World (later changed to Frisbee disc World, because of trademark issues). The brainchild of Dan “Stork” Roddick, it was the best way to keep up with news about what was going on in the world of Frisbee (come get me, Mattel!). One of my favorite parts of the mag was the sections called “Coming Up” and “Going Down”, where you could see a list of upcoming big events and then the results from those events. This was loooooong before the instant news fix of the Interwebs, so it was often months before we back on the east coast knew who had won the U.S. Open at La Mirada, or the WFC held at the Rose Bowl.
So I’ve decided to draw upon that great idea from the past and initiate a “sorta-regular-ish” feature for the SoCal website: Ups & Downs. I’ll try to do it near the beginning of each month, and list some interesting things that happened in the past month and other interesting things that are coming up. As always, if you have something you’d like to crow about or drum up interest in, please send me a message at email@example.com. I’d really like to have other voices represented on this website, not just mine. -Allen Risley
With that explained, here are the Ups & Downs – things coming up soon and things that went down recently:
- Huntington Beach: HB made it back on the PDGA and SoCal schedules, holding their City Championship January 12/13. There were some grumbles about the lack of online registration and delays on getting results, but dammit, Jerry Davis ran an event at HB!!! Lots of good comments about how things were run and the quality of play. Hometown hero and current World Champion Paul McBeth started off 2013 as a winner, with a 4-stroke win over Kyle Eckman. Paul’s 1080-rated final 9 accounted for three of those strokes – Stewart Mendenhall and Max Nichols rounded out the final 9 group. Other Pro division winners: Brittany Blair (FPO), Mark Collicott (MPM) Robbie Wilson (MPG) and Tom Clickner (MPS). Am division winners: Taylor Mate (MA1), Anthony Bassett (MM1), Richard Ewald (MA2), Jeremy Fairchild (MA3), Rebecca Anderson (FW3), Jacob Courtis (MJ3).
- Ice Bowl Season is Here!: SoCal’s “Golden Sombrero Series of Ice Bowls” is back for it’s 5th season, with eight events on the schedule. Four have already occurred:
- Redlands – Golden Sombrero originator Bill Maury-Holmes drew 48 players to Ford Park in Redlands to kick off the series. A.J. Risley took the win, after a playoff with Nick Wright and Nick Novoa. All three had shot 18-down, with the help of a few mulligans. Dave Phillips won the “Metal or Nada” round, with 2 metal hits on the final 9 holes. $715 and 3 cans of food were collected for Redlands Family Services.
- San Marcos – 50 players showed up in San Marcos the next day to tackle Montiel Park. Mark Verrochi stole the show, wining the event with 23-under 58. A.J. Risley and Bill Maury-Holmes were just two shots back at 60 (yes, there were mulligans). Mark also took home a basket for his ace of hole #4, beating Kyle Becker and Austen Stringfield in a CTP playoff. $700 and 100 lbs of canned food were collected for the North County Food Bank.
- Chavez Ridge – The Ice Bowl in Paradise was finally played in dry weather! 80 players enjoyed the view from the freeway hole, but Steve Rico had the most fun, shooting 12-down to best Chris Brophy (-8), A.J. Risley (-7) and Texan Chris Pepperling (-7). Other division winners: Todd Banks (MPM), Tom Clickner (MPS), Bill Richards (MPL), AdaZm Nash (MA1), Chris Calleton (MM1), Dave Hadder (MG1), Dan Ford (MA2), Stewart Coleman (MA3), Connor Wright (MJ3) and Jake Wilson (MJ4).
- Yucaipa – We know an Ice Bowl happened here…we just haven’t heard the results yet.
- Stuff other than tournaments happened too, recently. New discs from Innova (Roc3, Tern, McPro Aviar) and Legacy (Patriot, Rival), a new backpack bag from No Excuses, and cool videos from Arroyo. Talk of a new course in west L.A. at the Kenneth Hahn Recreational Area and an expansion of Mountain Pride Park in Murrieta from 9 to 18. Oh, and there’s a new disc golf company called Prodigy and they stole a bunch of sponsored layers from other teams.
- More Ice Bowls!: Sycuan (El Cajon) on 2/2, Murrieta on 2/16, Wrightwood (yes, real ice) on 2/23 and Mission Bay (San Diego) on 2/24.
- The 35th Annual (gulp!) Wintertime Open is back again. TD Mark Horn welcomes us back to where it all started: Oak Grove. Am weekend 2/9-10, Pro weekend 2/16-17.
- Another “One Night Stand” at Verdugo Hills on 3/9. Gary Sandoval’s attempt to turn us all into insomniacs.
- The return of La Mirada to the PDGA and SoCal schedule! West Coast Disc Golf makes it happen for two days in March (3/23-24) and it’s a Vibram Open qualifier to boot!
- Goat Hill moves to an earlier date. Can you say Cinco de Goato?
That’s all I got for now. Make something happen and write about it! Remember, Thoughts Become Things!